Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Stream Obsession

Here's something crazy: rivers and streams. I think we all take them for granted at some point. Ever since I can remember, I've been interested in them. Every time I can cross a bridge, I crane my neck in an attempt to catch a glimpse of the stream below. That said, even I take them for granted. I understand that after living in Savannah, GA. There is plenty of water here, but not many clear or fast-moving streams. The number one thing I miss here is that flowing water. For trivia, the second is hills. Well, I miss my friends and family most of all, but that doesn't count in this blog.
Being that I'm interested in streams, I often think how weird they are, how impossible they seem. Apparently, water just gathers, gravity-wise, as it falls to earth and forms a flowing, cohesive channel. Then that channel goes on and on, cutting through the land, and not only maintaining its' water, but growing by meeting new streams. These things flow endlessly on the surface of the earth. They even carve into it. Picture the highway system of the U.S. There are enough roads to fill every traveling person's need to get anywhere in the country. But that's nothing compared to rivers. They drain every inch of the landscape. Minus a few deserts and lakes without outlets, a drop that falls anywhere in the country can find its way to a coast via rivers. That seems impossible.
Through all this, streams have a life of their own. I sometimes feel like certain creeks and rivers have more personality than people. People have been personifying huge streams like the Mississippi since they were discovered. But try personifying the brook in your backyard. It's amazing how easy it is.

No comments: